The Roselle Park Emergency Medical Squad (RPEMS) has provided some safety tips to keep Halloween safe and fun. They include:
- When choosing a costume, stay away from long trailing fabric. If your child is wearing a mask, make sure the eye holes are large enough to see through.
- Provide children with a flashlight to carry for lighting or glow sticks as part of their costume so cars and other people can see them.
- Use a battery-operated candle or glow stick in jack-o-lanterns.
- Tell children to stay away from open flames including jack-o-lanterns with candles in them.
- Keep exits and entryways clear of decorations so nothing blocks any possible escape route.
- If your children are going to Halloween parties at other homes, have them look for exits in case an emergency happens.
The Roselle Park First Aid Squad responds to emergency medical services. The volunteer organization is always looking for more members. Anyone needing information to join can call (908) 245-3470 or visit their squad house at 535 Laurel Avenue.