The position of Animal Control Officer will formally be established if Ordinance 2546 is passed Thursday night at the September 20th Mayor & Council meeting.
Although for years the borough has had an animal control officer – Mayor Carl Hokanson for years until this year – the position has never been codified. If passed by the governing body, the position will be Chapter II, Article II, Section 2-15. Currently, former Roselle Park resident Alex Balaban is the borough’s animal control officer.
Previously, council passed an ordinance (link) which would provide a salary for the formerly no-pay position. The salary range for an animal control officer is $5,000 to $20,000.
Ordinance 2546 makes the appointed position a contracted one with an unspecified term duration. It was previously an annual appointment. The animal control officer will be required to possess professional certification recognized under N.J.A.C. 4:19-15.16a. A section in the bill states that the municipality “may qualify such an employee based on their professionalism, knowledge, and proven dedication to the community”.
The five listed responsibilities the position will be to:
- Enforce all laws pursuant to the powers vested with the Animal Control Officer pursuant to State Statute including, but not limited to, N.J.A.C. 4:19-15.16 et seq.
- Explicitly enforce the provisions of Chapter VIII of the Code of the Borough of Roselle Park, entitled “Animal Control.”
- Work cooperatively with Borough agencies and departments including, but not limited to, the Health Department, Municipal Clerk’s Office, and Police Department in furtherance of local and regional animal control efforts.
- Work cooperatively with the Borough’s duly appointed Humane Law Enforcement Officer.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned to them by the Mayor and Council.
The public hearing and vote for Ordinance 2546 is set to be held at the 7 p.m. Mayor & Council meeting in the Roselle Park Municipal Complex located at 110 East Westfield Avenue.
A copy of Ordinance 2546 is available below for review and download:
Download RP Ordinance 2546