The deadline for anyone wishing to file as a candidate for this year’s Roselle Park Board Of Education (BOE) is Monday, July 25th by 4 p.m.
A school board member is a non-paying volunteer position whose term lasts three (3) years. There are currently three (3) seats that are currently held by Alexander Balaban, Loren Harms, and Scott Nelson. Mr. Balaban has publicly stated that he will not run for re-election.
Candidates filing a nominating petition for a school board must meet the following requirements:
- Must be a citizen of the United States of America
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Must be able to read and write
- Must be a resident of the municipality from which he/she is to be elected for at least one year preceding the date of the election.
- Is a registered voter in the district.
- Is not disqualified as a voter pursuant to NJSA 19:4-1
- Is not disqualified from membership for the conviction of crimes pursuant to NJSA 18A:12-1
Additionally, no BOE member shall be directly or indirectly involved in any contract with, or claim against, the board. Within 30 days of an election or appointment to the school board, a member must undergo a criminal history background investigation through the New Jersey Department Of Education (NJDOE).
The nominating petition must have, at least, ten (10) valid signatures. One of those signatures may be the candidate’s own.
A copy of the nominating petition is available below but anyone interested in running or needing more information should call the Union County Clerk’s office at (908) 527-4360.
All petitions must be delivered to the Office of the Union County Clerk, located in the County Courthouse complex at 2 Broad Street in Elizabeth by 4 p.m. on Monday, July 25, 2016.