The Roselle Park Board Of Education (BOE) has been reviewing the Roselle Park School District’s (RPSD) policy manual. With assistance from the New Jersey School Board Association (NJSBA), outdated policies have been updated including the district’s special education policy.
Increasing from 16 pages to 35 pages, the policy expanded certain sections such as Full Educational Opportunity for Students with Disabilities and Evaluation and Determination of Eligibility.
New sections have also been created from either previous paragraph sub-sections or to address new requirements, including:
- Individualized Education Program (IEP)
- Participation of and Consultation with Parents/Guardians
- Surrogate Parent
- Parental Consent, Noticve, Participation and Meetings
- Evaluation and Determination of Eligibility
- Protection of Students’ Rights
- Graduation Requirements
- Procedural Safeguards
- Disabilities Services Resource
- Staff Qualifications and Staff Development
- Parental Advisory Council
The final section of the proposed policy change is an Addendum to 6171,4 under Part B of the IDEA for 2016-17. The 12 pages outline policies that the BOE shall adopt and assure compliance with. This section replaces the addendum from the 2008-29 school year.
The policy shall have its second reading at the April 25th BOE meeting in the Roselle Park High School auditorium at 7 p.m.
A copy of the proposed and current policy are available below:
(Download proposed RPSD Policy 6171.4)
(Download current RPSD Policy 6171.4)