Monday, July 31st, is the deadline for any resident wishing to file as a school board candidate for the 2017 Roselle Park Board Of Education (BOE) election.
Roselle Park’s BOE is composed of nine (9) members, each who served for a three-year-term. Every year, three (3) seats are up for election. The current board members who are serving the final year of their term are Rodric Bowman, Christopher Miller, and Jeof Vita.
Candidates filing a nominating petition for a school board must meet the following requirements:
- Must be a citizen of the United States of America
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Must be able to read and write
- Must be a resident of the municipality from which he/she is to be elected for at least one year preceding the date of the election.
- Is a registered voter in the district.
- Is not disqualified as a voter pursuant to NJSA 19:4-1
- Is not disqualified from membership for the conviction of crimes pursuant to NJSA 18A:12-1
Additionally, no school board member shall be directly or indirectly involved in any contract with or claim against the board. Within 30 days of an election or appointment to the school board, a member must undergo a criminal history background investigation through the New Jersey Department Of Education (NJDOE).
A school board member is a non-paying volunteer position. BOE members decide on policy and how taxpayer funds are used to educate students who are enrolled in the Roselle Park School District.
The nominating petition must have, at least, ten (10) valid signatures. One of those signatures may be the candidate’s own.
A copy of a sample nominating petition is available below but anyone interested in running or needing more information should call the Union County Clerk’s Office at (908) 527-4360.
More information can also be found on the New Jersey School Board Association (NJBSA) website (link).
All petitions must be delivered to the Office of the Union County Clerk, located in the County Courthouse complex at 2 Broad Street in Elizabeth by 4 p.m. on Monday, July 31, 2017.