This morning at approximately 4 a.m., the Roselle Park Police Department (RPPD) responded to a residence on Sherman Avenue on a report of an unknown medical emergency. Upon arrival, officers found an 80-year-old female who had 2nd and 3rd degree burns over a large portion of her body. Officers administered first aid until Roselle Park First Aid Squad (RPFAS) and paramedics arrived on scene.
The victim was taken to St. Barnabas Hospital Burn Center in Livingston for her injuries. Based on initial investigation, it appeared that fire started as a result of cigarette smoking and the use of an oxygen tank.
The Roselle Park Volunteer Fire Department (RPFD) as well as the Union County Arson Squad were also on scene. RPPD Captain Daniel McCaffery commented, “Our department wishes to remind all residents of the dangers of the use of oxygen while smoking cigarettes.”
The matter is still under investigation.