In addition to holding the annual primary election, June 4th will be the deadline for any eligible resident wishing to run for a seat on the Board Of Education (BOE). As of this date, the only incumbent who stated they plan to run for a seat is Donald Chin.
In order to be eligible to serve on a BOE, a candidate must:
- Be able to read and write
- Hold U.S. citizenship and one year’s residency in the school district
- Be registered to vote in the district before filing the nominating petition
- Have no interest in any contract with, or claim against, the board
- Not hold office as mayor or member of the municipal governing body or, in the case of county school districts, the county governing body.
- Not simultaneously hold two elective offices
- Not be disqualified from membership for the conviction of certain crimes. (Within 30 days of election or appointment to the board, a member must undergo a criminal history background investigation through the state Department of Education).
Interested candidates can pick up a nominating petition which must have, at least, ten (10) signatures at the County Clerk’s office at 2 Broad Street, Room 113 in Elizabeth, NJ. A copy of the nominating petition can be downloaded (link) or viewed and printed below:
All petitions must be submitted to the County Clerk’s Office by 4 p.m. on Tuesday, June 4th.