4 p.m. on Monday, July 30th, is the deadline for any resident wishing to file a petition to run for this year’s school board election.
The local Board Of Education (BOE) consists of nine (9) members who each serve for a three-year term. Three seats are up for election every year. This year, the three school board members who are in the last year of their term are Kevin Cancino, Troy Gerten, and Sundjata Sekou.
In recent years, the number of school board candidates has ranged from seven to only two.
The non-paying volunteer position decides on school district policy and how taxpayer funds are used to educate students who are enrolled in the Roselle Park School District.
Any resident who wishes to file a nominating petition for Roselle Park’s school board must meet the following requirements:
- Must be a citizen of the United States of America
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Must be able to read and write
- Must be a resident of the municipality from which he/she is to be elected for at least one year preceding the date of the election.
- Is a registered voter in the district.
- Is not disqualified as a voter pursuant to NJSA 19:4-1
- Is not disqualified from membership for the conviction of crimes pursuant to NJSA 18A:12-1
No school board member shall be directly or indirectly involved in any contract with or claim against the board. Within 30 days of an election or appointment to the school board, a member must undergo a criminal history background investigation through the New Jersey Department Of Education (NJDOE).
The nominating petition must have, at least, ten (10) valid signatures. One of those signatures may be the candidate’s own.
A copy of a sample nominating petition is available below but anyone interested in running or needing more information should call the Union County Clerk’s Office at (908) 527-4360.
More information can also be found on the New Jersey School Board Association (NJBSA) website (link).
All petitions must be delivered to the Office of the Union County Clerk, located in the County Courthouse complex at 2 Broad Street in Elizabeth by 4 p.m. on Monday, July 30, 2018.