The deadline for anyone wishing to run for a seat on the Board Of Education (BOE) is Monday, July 27th by 4 p.m. The school board election is 99 days later on same date as the general election which is Tuesday, November 3, 2015.
The nine-member school board has three (3) seats up for election every year in Roselle Park and 2015 has the seats currently held by Scott Bruckenstein, James Damm, and Troy Gerten available.
School board elections work differently than general elections in that voters can choose up to three BOE candidates at once and do not simply have to choose only one candidate. No one runs against each other, they simply accumulate votes, and those with the top-three most votes are elected.
Candidates filing a nominating petition for a school board must meet the following requirements:
- Must be a citizen of the United States of America
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Must be able to read and write
- Must be a resident of the municipality from which he/she is to be elected for at least one year preceding the date of the election.
- Is a registered voter in the district.
- Is not disqualified as a voter pursuant to NJSA 19:4-1
- Is not disqualified from membership for the conviction of crimes pursuant to NJSA 18A:12-1
Within 30 days of an election or appointment to the school board, a member must undergo a criminal history background investigation through the New Jersey Department Of Education (NJDOE).
It should be noted that although it is not explicitly stated in the petition, it is presumed that a candidate must be able to read and write English.
The nominating petition must have, at least ten (10) signatures, one of which may be the candidate’s, to be accepted by the County Clerk. Petitions must be filed with the county clerk in Elizabeth, not Roselle Park Borough Hall.
A Frequently Asked Question (FAQ) circular, along with other pertinent information, are available on the New Jersey School Board Association (NJSBA) website (link).
A copy of the nominating petition is available below but anyone interested in running or needing more information should call the Union County Clerk’s office at (908) 527-4360.