Acceptable Items Listed For 2014 Bulk Pick-Up

Acceptable Items Listed For 2014 Bulk Pick-Up thumbnail
By
Published: June 14, 2014 @ 6:00 AM EST

The two (2) bulk days for Roselle Park are Thursday, June 26th for the east side of town and Friday, June 27th for the west side.

A flier will be distributed soon but the acceptable list of items that will be picked up is:

  • Furniture
  • Lawn Furniture
  • Mattresses (limit two per address)
  • Storm Doors
  • Storm Windows
  • Toys
  • Wood Doors
  • Wood (limit of two 32-gallon containers with pieces cut into three-foot pieces)

The longer list of what is not considered bulk and will not be picked up is:

  • Appliances (refrigerators, washers, dryers, any metal products etc.)
  • Ashes
  • Asphalt
  • Automobile Parts
  • Branches
  • Brush
  • Carpeting
  • Concrete
  • Closed-Top Drums
  • Dirt
  • Electronic Waste
  • Household Garbage
  • Leaves
  • Paint
  • Pool Filters
  • Railroad Ties
  • Rocks
  • Stones
  • Stumps
  • Tree trunks
  • Chemicals and materials resulting from demolition, alterations, or repairs to buildings or other structures not generated by the home owner (e.g., materials generated by a contractor) and not generated from pickup sites requiring permits.

Other restrictions and terms, per the bid specification contract, are:

  • There are to be no garbage bags used to place bulk material
  • Although the total weight of any container shall not exceed fifty (50) pounds, resident may not use 50-gallon drums or similar overweight containers as garbage receptacles to be placed curbside for collection purposes.
  • There is a maximum five hundred (500) pound weight limit per property.
  • Combustible or non-combustible waste of such nature that it cannot be deposited in a receptacle shall be securely and properly tied into bundles or packages to prevent spilling or scattering. The bundles or packages shall be of a size and weight to permit ease of handling by one man and shall be packaged or otherwise assembled in quantities weighing not more than fifty (50) pounds.
  • No package, bundles, or material placed for collection are to be larger than four (4) feet in length unless prior notice of twenty-four (24) hours shall have been given to the person or agency responsible for collection.
  • No “medical waste”, of any kind, shall be permitted.

During the June 5th Mayor & Council meeting, Second Ward Councilwoman Charlene Storey stated that the restrictions placed on what will and will not be picked up are not at the discretion of the municipality but restrictions placed on the borough from state regulations and the contractor. When informed that the restrictions were already in place on the bid specifications that came from the Borough Clerk’s Office, Mayor Joseph Accardi stated that 95% of the restrictions came from regulations and the other 5% were restrictions placed on residents from the municipality to help defray costs related to recycling since those items could be put out on recycling days throughout the year.

No information was provided by the governing body as to why other contractors and municipalities – such as Roselle – have less restrictive bulk item policies which allow such things as rugs and carpeting.