2014-2015 School Calendar Approved By BOE
By Saul Qersdyn
Published: March 1, 2014 @ 12:00 PM EDT
Without any of the room-packed audience and criticisms that accompanied last year’s Calendar Committee recommendations at a Roselle Park Board Of Education (BOE) meeting, the board unanimously voted in February to approve the district calendar for the 2014-15 school year. The 183-day calendar will have September 4th as the first day of school for students with the following days off:
- The first day when school will be closed for students will be Thursday, September 25th, the day after the first evening of the Jewish High Holy Days which begins with Rosh Hashanah, which falls on Wednesday, September 24, 2014 and ends on Saturday, October 4, 2014 with Yom Kippur (Day of Atonement). School will be open all other Jewish Holy Days, including the Day of Atonement, which is a Judaic day of fasting and repentance, affording man the opportunity to cleanse himself of his sins and renew his relationship with God.
- October will have one (1) day off on Columbus Day which falls on the 13th.
- Two (2) days will have the school closed for the NJEA (New Jersey Education Association) convention held on the first Thursday and Friday of the month and another two days on the last Thursday and Friday closing for the Thanksgiving recess with a Wednesday early dismissal.
- December will have school end for the calendar year with a shortened session on Tuesday the 23rd.
- Students will return to classes on Monday, January 5, 2015 and have Martin Luther King, Jr. Day off the 19th of January.
- February will have students of on the 16th and 17th for Presidents Weekend.
- School will be opened for the entire month of March and Spring Recess will be from Friday, April 3rd through Friday, April 10th.
- The month of May will have a shortened session on the 18th and school will be closed for Memorial Day, May 25, 2014.
- The last month of the school year will have one (1) shortened session on June 1st and the last day of school will be on June 19, 2015.
The days noted in the calendar to be used in case the district uses its three (3) built-in snow days are as follows (in order of use):
- Friday, April 10, 2015
- Thursday, April 9, 2015
- Wednesday, April 8, 2015
- Tuesday, April 7, 2015
- Monday, April 6, 2015
Anyone with any questions or comments regarding the school calendar can contact the RPSD at (908) 245-1197.